Everyone took this wine quiz at the DGS last night. I think the highest scores were 14/20. The winners of the wine quiz and the blind tasting, Steve, Chuck and Aaron, had a blind tasting (i.e. eyes closed) standoff, and Aaron came out the winner – he won the waiters’ corkscrew.
1. Semillon, which makes up 80% of the blend in Chateau d’Yquem, is a:
a. White grape
b. Red grape
2. Which is the largest and most well known wine region of New Zealand?
a. Hawkes Bay
3. Chile was the _th largest producer of wine in 2005:
4. How many pounds of grapes make a single bottle of wine?
a. 4 to 5 pounds
b. 3 to 3.5 pounds
c. 7 to 8 pounds
d. 2 to 2.5 pounds
5. You should always decant red wine:
6. What is the best temperature to store red wines at?
a. 45 degrees F
b. 70 degrees F
c. 65 degrees F
d. 55 degrees F
7. The oldest known bottle of wine was found in:
8. Which of these is not a sparkling wine?
a. Asti Spumante
9. What grape is Chablis made of?
a. Chenin Blanc
d. Cabernet Franc
10. What is the difference between Shiraz and Syrah?
a. Shiraz is red, Syrah is white
b. Shiraz is white, Syrah is red
c. They are the same grape
d. Shiraz has a slightly higher alcoholic content than Syrah
11. Is there a difference between Muscadet and Moscato?
12. Is there a difference between Moscato and Moscatel?
13. What are sulfites?
a. A natural preservative found in many foods; extra has been added to wine to allow it to age
b. Small crystals found in the bottom of bottles of wine; harmless to drink
c. An artificial flavoring added to wine to make it taste better
d. An additive to prevent the cork from getting moldy
14. In California the red grape with the most acres under cultivation is:
a. Pinot Noir
c. Cabernet Sauvignon
15. In California the white grape with the most acres under cultivation is:
a. Pinot Gris
c. Sauvignon Blanc
16. Which is not a grape used in the production of Champagne?
a. Pinot Noir
c. Pinot Meunier
d. Cabernet Sauvignon
17. Which of the following grape varieties is the main grape grown in the Beaujolais region?
18. Which of the following is correct with regards to Vintage Port?
a. Vintage ports are declared every year
b. About 30% of ports are vintage ports
c. Both answer a and b are correct
d. None of the above is correct
19. Spicy food will exaggerate the tannin and bitterness of the wine:
20. Sour foods with more acidity will decrease the perception of sourness in the wine, making the wine taste richer and mellower: